News you won't see in controlled mainstream media.

Register :) | Help | Live Chat | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Report Abuse
Who's Online
2 registered (Russ, 1 invisible), 655 Guests and 68 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30
Left Sidebar Ad
(Views)Popular Topics
Evolution: The Big Joke 441,826
DOES GOD EXIST? 166,310
Please HELP!!! 136,701
IONIC foot baths 122,629
What Exacty is Abiogenesis? 119,445
Jesus Christ Our Creator ~~ 105,506
Liver flushing is all fake...Its the mixture of epsom salts with not eating and the grapefruit or lemon.. 103,267
Transitions, telling truth from lies 103,137
Ladies!!! Rhogam injection warning.. 94,772
Is the Grand Canyon Proof of Noah's Flood? 92,361
Support Our Forum
Untitled Document
Herbs/Nutrition
Only The Best HerbsOnly The Best Herbs!
Your best source of world-class herbal information! More...
Mercury Detox
Amalgam Illness: Diagnosis and Treatment by Dr. Andrew Cutler#1 Book We've Found!
"Silver" fillings, mercury detox, & much more. More...
Algin
AlginFor Mercury Detox
Prevent mercury reabsorption in the colon during detox. More...
Mercury Poisoning
DMSA, 25mg.Softcover & Kindle
Excellent resource for mercury detox. More...
DMSA 100mg
EDTA 500mg
DMSA, 25mg.For Mercury Chelation
For calcium chelation and heart health. More...
Vaccine Safety?
Vaccines: The Risks, The Benefits, The Choices by Dr. Sherri TenpennyMust for Every Parent
The most complete vaccine info on the planet. More...
Stop Candida!
Candida ClearFinally.
Relief! More...
Saying NO To Vaccines
Saying No To Vaccines by Dr. Sherri TenpennyDr. Sherri Tenpenny
Get the info you need to protect yourself. More...
Nano-Silver
Amalgam Illness: Diagnosis and Treatment by Dr. Andrew CutlerWhat everyone's talking about!
Safe, powerful, timely! More...
World's Best Vitamin E
Vitamin E wih SeleniumThere is a difference!
A powerful brain antioxidant for use during Hg detox. More...
It's All In Your Head
It's All In Your Head by Dr. Hal HugginsThis changed my life!
This book convinced me remove my fillings. More...
World's Best Multi
Super Supplemental - Full-Spectrum Multivitamin/Mineral/Herbal SupplementThis is what we use!
The only multi where you feel the difference. More...
Understand Hair Tests
Hair Test Interpretation: Finding Hidden Toxicities by Dr. Andrew CutlerHair Tests Explained!
Discover hidden toxicities, easily. More...
GABA
GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid)Have Racing Thoughts?
Many use GABA for anxiety and better sleep. More...
Pet Health Charts
Pet Health Charts for Dogs, Cats, Horses, and BirdsHelp Them!
Natural health for pets. More...
The Companion Bible (Hardcover)
The Companion BibleThe Bible We Use!
King James with study notes by Bullinger. More...
The Companion Bible (Softcover)
The Companion BibleThe Bible We Use!
King James with study notes by Bullinger. More...
Sweet Remedy
Sweet RemedyFood Additives
Protect your family from toxic food! More...
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#41437 - 09/08/08 01:21 PM Foundation of Our Security ~
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

bibleThe Foundation of
Our Security ~

READ/ 1 Peter 1:1-5

Do you sometimes feel a bit lost in the world--as if you're all alone, facing tremendous obstacles? Most people feel this way from time to time. However, if you've placed your faith in Jesus Christ, you have a solid foundation that cannot be shaken, regardless of what life throws at you.

To encourage Christians who are heading into persecution, Peter opens his letter of hope and assurance with a strong statement of faith (1Peter 1:1-5). Though our circumstances may be different, we, too, should hear the Word's promise of security.

Peter first reminds us that we are "chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father" (vv.1-2). The message is clear: You are not in this situation by accident. Your faith, successes, and failures are no surprise to God. He knew you fully from the beginning of time and chose you to be with Him forever.

Second, the apostle shows that we are subject to the ongoing sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit. In other words, we do not have to find the way by ourselves. The Spirit of God is with us step by step, leading and guiding us into maturity in Christ.

Third, Peter assures us that we're cleansed by Jesus' blood. All our mistakes, misgivings, and missteps have been permanently washed away at the cross. cross As new creations, we are forgiven and free to walk eternally with God.

rainbowThe timeless message of the Bible is that we are not alone. We can face any trial in the power of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Since the triune God is with us, we can boldly claim victory over any obstacle.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pastor Charles Stanley
IN TOUCH ~
Blessings,
Abishag
"Behold the Lamb of God who taketh away the sin of the world." (John 1:29,36)
"Behold the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the root of David.(Rev.5:5)-The Lamb slain from the foundation of the world." (Rev.13:8) JESUS IS LORD!

#41445 - 09/08/08 03:20 PM Re: Foundation of Our Security ~ [Re: Abigail]
Lynnmn Offline

Master Elite Member

The Timeless Message of the Bible..

What To Read
Solomon's Wise Advise..

" To the makeing of many books there is no end , and much devotion to them is wearisome to the flesh."
{ Ecclesiastes 12:12 }

In penning theses words some 3,000 years ago, wise King Solomon of Israel was not discourageing reading..
Rather , he was commenting on the need to be selective.
How timely that reminder is today, as billions of pages of reading material roll off the world's printing press's annually !

It is evident that " many books " to which Solomon referred were not upbuilding or refreshing..
Therefore, he argued that devotion to them , instead of providing positive and lasting rewards , is " wearisome to the flesh ."

However, was Solomon saying their are no books that offer sound,
reliable guidance that can benefit the reader ?
No, for he also wrote:
" The words of the wise ones are like oxgoads, and just like nails driven in are thoses indulging in collections of sentences;
they have been given from one shepherd."
{ Ecclesiastes 12:11 }

Indeed , there are written words that " like the oxgoads " can provide positive motivation.
They can spur a person on in the right way.
Futhermore, " like nails driven in , " they can serve to strengthen ones resolve and have a stablizing effect.

Where can we find such wise words ?
Preeminent among such, according to Solomon,
are thoses that orginate with the one Shepherd , Jehovah.
{ Psalm 23:1 }

Therefore, one can do no better then turn to the book that is inspired by God-- the Bible..
Reading such inspired words regularly can help one to become...
" fully competent, completely equipped for every good work."
{ 2 Timothy 3:16,17 }

An aspect of the Bible that one may find significant is it's inner harmony..
This is really remarkable, considering...
that the Bible's 66 books were written over a period of 1,600 years.

Suppose you went to a public library and chose 66 religious books that had been written over a period of 16 centuries..
Then you had thoses individual books bound into one volume.

Would you expect that volume to have a common theme and a harmonious message ?
Hardly. That would require a miracle..

Consider this: The books of the Bible do have such a common theme,
and they do corroborate one another.
This demonstrates that there must be one mastermind , or author,
who directed what the Bible writters recorded..

The timeless message of the Bible is that we are not alone.
Thanks Abishag
Lynn

#41468 - 09/08/08 07:15 PM Re: Foundation of Our Security ~ [Re: Lynnmn]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

THE CHOICE IS OURS ~

I will make you my promised
bride forever. I will be good and
fair; I will show you my love and mercy.
HOSEA 2:19

cross For all its peculiarities and unevenness, the Bible has a simple story. God made man. Man rejected God. God won't give up until he wins him back.

God will whisper. He will shout. He will touch and tug. He will take away our burdens; he'll even take away our blessings. If there are a thousand steps between us and him he will take all but one. But he will leave the final one for us. The choice is ours.

Please understand. His goal is not to make you happy. His goal is to make you his. His goal is not to get you what you want; it is to get you what you need. cross What we need has been dealt with at the cross. It's our choice to 'take up our cross daily and follow Him.'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blessings, Abishag
A Gentle Thunder
MAX LUCADO
"Behold the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the root of David.(Rev.5:5)-The Lamb slain from the foundation of the world." (Rev.13:8) JESUS IS LORD!

#62933 - 06/05/11 10:47 AM Re: Foundation of Our Security ~~God Is Apeaking to You [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

-God Is Speaking to You
-PSALM 85:8
-- bible
Our concept of God determines how we relate to Him. Those who see Him as distant and impersonal may be surprised to know He "speaks" personally to everyone—even to those who deny His existence. Since He wants us to know Him and have a personal relationship with Him, He continually seeks to communicate with us. But without hearing His voice audibly, many people are unaware of Him. Even Christians can develop insensitive spiritual ears.

For those who are willing to hear, God's voice can be discerned through a variety of sources. The most obvious one is the Bible, but He can also call to us through the spoken or written words of other believers. He even speaks through circumstances and the wonders of His creation. I think we would all be amazed if we knew how many different ways our loving heavenly Father tries to get our attention.

He calls with a quiet voice that speaks into our hearts and minds. Although His words can be directed to a crowd, He has a specific, individualized message for each person. That's why two people can hear the same sermon or read the same verses yet come away with two different applications of the message. God doesn't dish out generalities; He communicates specific ideas meant just for you.

Busyness is a big hindrances to receptivity. When our lives are filled with the clamor of this world, God's quiet voice can't be heard. Set aside time today to listen for His call, consider what He's saying through your circumstances, and respond in gratitude because He delights to speak with you.

--In Touch

#62938 - 06/05/11 11:55 PM Re: Foundation of Our Security ~~God Is Apeaking to You [Re: Abigail]
Mark Kennedy Offline
Freshman Member

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO
In short, the foundation of our security is Christ alone, Scripture alone and most importantly, grace alone. It is grace that saves, grace that sanctifies and grace that glorifies God in our lives. The working definition is 'unmerited favor' but it really doesn't do the real meaning justice. Grace breaks the will with a love that while we were yet sinners Christ died for our sins.

Grace not only saves us but sanctifies us, apart from Christ we can do nothing and to make myself clear, your merit counts for nothing. If one were to ask the Apostle Paul how it is that he worked so hard and suffered so much and bringing so many the Gospel, he would, and did, tell us that it is by grace.

But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them—yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me. (I Cor. 15:10)

A good working definition for grace is 'unmerited favor', Paul worked in the ministry field by grace alone and he is crystal clear on this point. The merits of Christian ministry are Christ's alone we can add nothing. James in speaking to believers who were obviously showing favoritism was simply telling them that this is not how saving faith works. He was outraged that a wealthy Christian could teach a poor Christian as inferior when they themselves apart from Christ are poor, pitiful, blind and naked.

When announcing the death of Martin Luther King Robert Kennedy quoted this:

“In our sleep, pain which cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart until, in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom through the awful grace of God.” Aeschylus

Perhaps because of the solemness of the occasion or possibly the crushing weight of grace in my life these words best describe grace as I have come to know it. I must forgive, even as I am forgiven. It is then in my despair, against my will, comes the awful grace of God. Or perhaps it was here:

In the final hours of darkness, in the garden there he prayed.
Father take this cup from me, is there any other way.
As his prayer turned into pleading, his sweat turned into blood,
Father prepare me now, your will not mine be done.

Then the thousand came to take the one, and there he stood betrayed.
By the kiss that found forever, the lamb who would be slain.
They said which one is Jesus and he spoke these simple words,
And the thousand fell before the answer that changed the world,

I am he he said

In the final hours of darkness in the gardens of my search,
tempatations grown around me like thorns around the word.
I saw my sin before me and I felt my heart turn numb.
When I cried Lord, where is my strength, came the answer that changed my life.

I am He he said.

(Terry Talbot, I am He)

Grace and peace,
Mark
He (Lamarck) first did the eminent service of arousing attention to the probability of all change in the organic, as well as in the inorganic world, being the result of law, and not of miraculous interposition. (Charles Darwin)

#62939 - 06/06/11 08:55 AM Re: Foundation of Our Security ~~God's Grace [Re: Mark Kennedy]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

GRACE = God's Righteousness At Christ's Expense ~

Thank you, Mark--

Absolutely, this post is right on! I will add a few scriptures which may have been mentioned indirectly in your post. The Word is always the best place to go. This is NASB.
-- bible
Ephesians 2:8-9 / "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God: not as a result of works, so that no one may boast."

John 1:14 / "And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Romans 5:20-21/ "The Law came in so that the transgression would increase; but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more,

So that, as sin reigned in death, even so grace would reign through righteousness to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."

2 Corinthians 12:9-10/ "And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." Most gladly, therefore I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.

"Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong."

Edited by Abigail (06/06/11 09:01 AM)
Edit Reason: addition

#62975 - 06/08/11 09:22 AM Re: Foundation of Our Security ~~Keeping a Clear Mind [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

-Keeping a Clear Mind
ROMANS 12:1-2

The human mind is an amazing creation of God. Nothing on earth can match its capabilities or creativity. It controls feelings, thoughts, words, attitudes, and behavior. Who we become and what we achieve are largely due to how and what we think. Wouldn't it make sense to let the One who created us guide our thought processes?

A clear mind is one that's aligned with God's Word and controlled by His Spirit. When the Lord has authority over our thoughts, discernment will guard our perspective. He empowers us to look beyond the surface and view situations as they really are. We can distinguish not just between right and wrong but also between good and best. The Lord has granted us the ability to think rightly no matter what challenges may face us.

But such clear, focused thinking must be deliberately chosen and diligently maintained. If we don't guard against the world's influence, we will find ourselves squeezed into its mold. Soon we'll have a fragmented mind that cannot focus on spiritual things because it is cluttered and clogged with worldly thoughts and concerns. We must carefully consider what we allow into our minds. So ask yourself, Is this helping me become the person God wants me to be, or is it hindering the process?

A renewed mind begins with surrender to the Lord. Until you give Him full authority over your thoughts, you'll have no power to clear out the clutter that hinders you from living in the fullness of His will. But as you yield to Him and fill your mind with His Word, He'll transform your life. bible

--In Touch

----------------------------------------------------------

#63096 - 06/20/11 02:00 PM Re: Foundation of Our Security ~~AMERICAN JUSTICE,DIVINE JUSTICE~ [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

-AMERICAN JUSTICE, DIVINE JUSTICE
By: Franklin Graham

~~"JUSTICE HAS BEEN DONE."

With those words, President Obama announced May 1 that Navy SEALs had hunted down and killed Osama bin Laden in Pakistan. The mastermind behind the Sept. 11 attacks--responsible for the deaths of nearly 3,000 American civilians and waves of terror and hatred around the world--was finally dead.

Midnight celebrations erupted across the United States. College students took to the streets, chanting "USA!" Flags waved and horns honked as an enormous national burden was lifted. Meanwhile, it was a solemn time for families and friends of bin Laden's victims, whose losses can never be repaid.

My first reaction was gratitude for our brave soldies who flawlessly executed such a dangerous and complex mission. I thought of my son--who has spent much of the past six years fighting terrorists in Iraq or Afghanistan--and all the troops who put their lives on the line every day to protect our freedom and our nation. Al Qaeda did not die with bin Laden, and our soldiers could face retribution. Please remember them in your prayers.

But I also thought about justice, particularly in light of a comment by David Beamer, whose son Todd was a passenger on the fourth plane hijacked Sept. 11, 2001. Todd was the one who famously said, "Let's roll!" as passengers tried to regain control of United Flight 93. They lost their lives when the plane crashed in Pennsylvania, but they prevented another attack possibly on Washington, D.C.

David Beamer said of bin Laden: "He has now come face to face with American justice and, unfortunately for him, he's come face to face with divine justice. ...His days, forever and always are going to be very bad."

American justice demanded that bin Laden be held accountable for his crimes against our nation. It took almost 10 years, but he got what he deserved.

Divine justice requires that each of us be judged for our sins against a holy God. The Bible says that none of us are righteous enough to stand in judgment before Him (Romans 3:10), and that the wages of sin is death (Romans 6:23).

However, if we repent of our sins and trust Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior, we don't get what we deserve. Through His substitutionary death on the cross, He has paid the price for our sins and satisfied the justice of God.

The Apostle Paul was dogged persecutor of the church before he repented and surrendered his heart to the Lord. In his first letter to Timothy, he confessed to blasphemy, persecution and violence.

Then he wrote: "Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners--of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life" (1 Timothy 15-16, NIV). - cross

For everyone who rejects Christ, the bar of final judgment will bring eternal condemnation. For those who have surrendered to Christ, there will be no condemnation (Romans 8:1)--divine judgment satisfied by divine mercy. ~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#63168 - 06/28/11 09:27 AM Re: Foundation of Our Security ~~~Expressing Thankfulness [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

-Expressing Thankfulness ~

Oh give thanks to the LORD; call upon his name; make known his deeds among the peoples! (1 Chronicles 16:8)

I remember when our youngest son was just a little boy, and I told him I was going to get him a brand new toy that he'd been wanting. So he'd been getting excited about this for a few days. And finally, the day came when I was going to take him to the toy store.

So I picked him up from school and off we went to the toy store. We went in together and he sprinted to find this toy he so desperately wanted. We picked out just the right thing and walked to the register, paid for it, and he skipped out the door.

And, you know, you get to the point where you get tired of telling your children to say thank you. So you just sort of wait to see if they're growing up. And do you know what he did? He turned around, put his arms around me, and he said those magic words, "Thanks, Dad." And boy, I was so excited that I wanted to go in and get him another toy!

It's wonderful when your children say thank you. And in the same way, our Father in heaven longs for his children to continually express thanksgiving because it's when you and I express those feelings to him that he is pleased.

So remember to always express your thankfulness to God for who He is and what He's done for you!

REMEMBER TO ALWAYS EXPRESS YOUR THANKFULNESS TO GOD FOR HIS CHARACTER AND HIS ACTIONS!

Thanks be to God for the VICTORY we have, in Jesus!- jesuslovesyou

#63219 - 06/30/11 06:42 PM Re: Foundation of Our Security ~~~Occupational Hazard [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

-OCCUPATIONAL
-HAZARD ~~

Philippians 1:12-18
---
The things which
happened to me have
actually turned out
for the furtherance
of the gospel.
--Philippians 1:12

--
My occupation is words. Whether I am writing or editing, I am using words to convey ideas so that readers can understand. I can usually see what's wrong with someone else's writing (though sometimes not with my own) and figure out how to fix it.

As an editor, I am paid for being critical. My job is to see what's wrong with the way words are used. This ability becomes a disability when I carry it over into my personal life and always look for what is wrong. Focusing on what's wrong can cause us to miss everything that's good.

The apostle Paul had reason to focus on what was wrong in the Philippian church. Certain people were preaching the gospel out of selfish ambition to add to Paul's suffering (Phil. 1:16). But instead of concentrating on the negative, he chose to look at the positive and rejoice in it: Jesus Christ was being preached (v.18). - cross

God wants us to be discerning--we need to know good from bad--but He doesn't want us to focus on the bad and become critical or discouraged. Even in circumstances that are less than ideal (Paul was writing from prison), we can find something good because in times of trouble God is still at work.
--
When your outlook is blurred by problems,
focus on Christ. ~

ODB/JAL

#63479 - 07/21/11 11:52 AM Re: Foundation of Our Security ~~~Why Am I Still So Sinful? [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

Why Am I Still So Sinful?
1 John 1:5-10

"The heart is deceitful above all things, and beyond cure. Who can understand it?" (Jeremiah 17:9) bible

I thought I would be much holier by now. Perhaps you too are surprised to discover so much sin continuing to infect your imagination and ooze out of you toward others. You rarely remember to think of God or pray; your mind is fixed on yourself most of the time. Maybe you still lack self-control and often give in to temptations. You thought that growing sanctification would mean victory over your most embarrassing and humilating sins.

The truth is very different. You still wrestle with familiar sins and see new ones that you didn't recognize before. Even your best obedience is contaminated with prideful motives and selfishness.

Yet God is not surprised by your sin: He has always known the depths of your wicked heart and has loved just the same. Don't be discouraged. The more weakness and sin you see in yourself, the more you cherish God's Son and His death and obedience in your place. Your growth and sanctification are proceeding according to God's perfect schedule for you. ~~
--
"A depraved nature still cleaves to [the believer], and he has the seeds of every natural corruption remaining in his heart." (John Newton)

--Haven Today

Let's stay close to the Lord! He is sanctifying our sinful desires (hearts), to be 'Just Like Jesus'!

#63496 - 07/22/11 11:28 AM Re: Foundation of Our Security ~~~What God Loves Most [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

-What God Loves Most
Psalm 51

"For this is what the high and lofty One says...'I live in a high and holy place, but also with him who is contrite and lowly in spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and..the heart of the contrite.'"
(Isaiah 57:15)

bible
If God is all-powerful and loves His children perfectly, why would He leave remaining sin in our lives to torment us? If He could have saved us and made us perfect immediately, why has He ordained that our lives here on earth be characterized by weakness, unrelenting temptation, and profoundly painful sinful failure?

God thinks differently than we do. We imagine Him to be delighted by our goodness, so we try hard to impress Him. We believe that He loves us best when we obey Him and is horribly disappointed when we sin and let Him down. Think again.

God is most delighted by the perfection of His Son, so He is most pleased when we see our huge need for Christ and look to Him for our righteousness. God is lovingly committed to weaning us away from our dependence on our own goodness. Your ongoing struggle with sin today is an invitation to look afresh to Christ and not to your own obedience. You needed His perfection to be saved in the first place, and you will need it many times today.
--
"Experience is God's school; Those taught by Him learn they have no wisdom by their mistakes, no strength by their slips and falls."
-(John Newton)

--Haven Today

#63497 - 07/22/11 06:30 PM Re: Foundation of Our Security ~~~God's Purposes [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

-God's Purposes
Genesis 50:15-21

"This man was handed over to you by God's set purpose and foreknowledge; and you, with the help of wicked men, put him to death by nailing him to the cross."
(Acts 2:23) cross

There is no doubt that God hates sin. From Genesis to Revelation, we see that God despises wickedness and is committed to the destruction of evil. In the beginning of the book of Job, even Satan needs God's permission to sin, and is only able to torment Job to the degree that God allows. Joseph proclaimed God's sovereignty over sin when he told his wayward brothers that the actions they meant for evil, God meant for good. God uses what He hates to accomplish what He loves.

Nowhere is this seen more clearly than in the crucifixion of Christ. What could God possibly have hated more than to see His Son mocked, tortured, and brutally executed? Yet God ordained something so horrific and painful for Himself and His Son, because it accomplished something that they both loved, something to which the Holy Trinity had joyfully agreed before time began: the rescue of our souls and our adoption into His family.

If that love doesn't melt you and fill you with desire to live in obedience to God, what else will?
--
"Satan is more remarkably disappointed and put to shame when he finds bounds set to his rage and policy, beyond which he cannot pass."
(John Newton)

--Haven Today

#63657 - 08/05/11 11:33 AM Re: Foundation of Our Security ~~~Grace to Stand and to Fall [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

-Grace to Stand and to Fall
Luke 18:10-14

"If anyone thinks he is something when he is nothing, he deceives himself." (Galatians 6:3)

ARE you aware of how much you need God's grace every moment of every day? As you walk through the minutes and hours of your life, you make momentous decisions about whom and what you will worship, often without much thought or care. Many times each day, you will either turn toward God in faith and trust to worship Him, or you will sell your soul to the god of that moment, the idol you think you must appease to get what you want.

If you stand in the moment of temptation and resist the tones of the tempter, you will need the Gospel to survive your own obedience. You need to know that your goodness is not your own--it is a gift from God--or you will become proud of your obedience and sink into self-worship. If you fail miserably and sin badly, you need the Gospel.

Remember that your sin is your own fault, but it has been paid for in full. It is buried in the fountain of redeeming blood, and every act of obedience performed by your Savior is credited to you. Through grace you stand, and when you fall, it's into His gracious arms you go.
-- - cross
Believers dare not ascribe anything to themselves, gladly acknowledging [defeat] if Jesus had not been their Savior, Shepherd, and Shield."
--(John Newton)

--Haven Today

#63703 - 08/10/11 10:51 AM Re: Foundation of Our Security ~~~The Hand of the Lord [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

-The Hand of the Lord

"This Ezra went up from Babylon; and he was a ready scribe in the law of Moses, which the LORD God of Israel had given: and the king granted him all his request, according to the hand of the LORD his God upon him." (Ezra 7:6)

Neither Ezra, who was a scribe, nor Nehemiah, who was apparently a butler, had been prepared by either study or experience to supervise a great construction project, rebuilding the temple in Jerusalem and the wall of the city, both of which had been destroyed many years before by the armies of Babylon. Yet God called them to these ministries and led them and protected them as they carried them out.

They were both careful, then, to give God the credit for what they had accomplished. No less than six times in Ezra and twice in Nehemiah they reminded their readers that God's hand had been upon them as they supervised the work (see Ezra 7:6, 9, 28; 8:18-22, 31; Nehemiah 2:8, 18).

There had been many difficulties and much opposition, but as Paul would later say: "If God be for us, who can be against us?" (Romans 8:31). cross

We also need to be careful to give God the credit for anything He enables us to accomplish in His service. Even such a great and useful Christian as the apostle Paul had to say: "But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me" (1 Corinthians 15:10).

We remember, however, that the hand of the Lord can be a chastening hand, as well as a guiding and providing hand. When a certain false prophet tried "to pervert the right ways of the Lord," Paul said: "The hand of the Lord is upon thee, and thou shalt be blind" (Acts 13:10-11). And so it was. "It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God" (Hebrews 10:31). HMM

#63769 - 08/16/11 01:48 PM Re: Foundation of Our Security ~~~Becoming A Patient Person [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

-Becoming a Patient Person
-ACTS 24:1-16

Paul demonstrated the power of patience when he was brought to trial before Festus. Instead of letting his accusers' false claims interfere with his calm demeanor, the apostle patiently went through the legal process while remaining faithful to the Lord. He refrained from attacking the opposition or decrying the injustice of the charges. His peaceful manner found favor with the governor and earned him a hearing for the gospel (Acts 24:24-25).

Because our "flesh" is inclined towards impatience, we need to seek the Lord during difficult situations. Through prayer, we can ask Him to take control over our . . .

starThoughts. It is important that we shift our attention away from the circumstance and onto our heavenly Father. His Spirit will help us gain the right perspective.

starEmotions. When the Holy Spirit oversees our feelings and reactions, we will find ourselves becoming calmer. Then He will empower us to respond in a godly manner.

starSpeech. Asking Him to help us have self-control over our tongue is essential. A timely word can defuse a situation; speaking defensively or shouting angrily at the other person can inflame it (Prov. 15:18). The Holy Spirit will answer our prayers and provide what we need, just as He did for the apostle Paul.

Patience requires self-control and a desire to please God. Paul had need of both when standing before Festus and King Agrippa. Despite the injustice of those situations, Paul held his ground and was not provoked. Imagine what God will do through you as you grow in the virtue of patience.

--In Touch

#63787 - 08/18/11 07:00 PM Re: Foundation of Our Security ~~Focus On Fairness [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

-A FOCUS
ON FAIRNESS ~~

Proverbs 1:1-9
---
Hate evil, love
good; establish
justice in the gate.
--Amos 5:15
- cross
----
During the past 135 years of Major League Baseball, only 20 pitchers have thrown a perfect game. On June 2, 2010, Armando Galarraga of the Detroit Tigers would have been number 21 but an umpire's mistake denied him what every pitcher dreams of. The video replay showed the truth. Even though the umpire later acknowledged his error and apologized, the call could not be changed.

Through it all, Galarraga remained calm, expressed sympathy for the umpire, and never criticized him. Armando's refusal to retaliate amazed fans, players, and sportswriters alike

If we insist on fair treatment for ourselves, we can become angry and frustrated. But when we embrace the Bible's wisdom, we will seek the welfare of others. Proverbs calls us "to perceive the words of understanding, to receive the instruction of wisdom, justice, judgment, and equity" (1:2-3).

Oswald Chambers said of our personal dealings with others, "Never look for justice, but never cease to give it; and never allow anything you meet with to sour your relationship to men through Jesus Christ."

When we experience unfairness, it's our responsibility as followers of Christ to respond with honesty and integrity, doing what is right, just, and fair.
-----
-Life is not fair, but God is always faithful.

ODB/DM

#63893 - 08/28/11 07:44 PM Re: Foundation of Our Security ~~A FIRM FOUNDATION [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

-A FIRM
FOUNDATION ~

Deuteronomy 6:1-9
---
These words which
I command you
...you shall teach
them diligently to
your children.
--Deut. 6:6-7
- bible
---
Before she was 2 years old, my granddaughter Katie did something that would make any grandpa proud: She began to recognize cars by make and year. This all started when she and her daddy began spending time playing with his old collection of toy cars. Daddy would say, "Katie, get the 1957 Chevy," and she would pick it out of the hundreds of tiny cars. And once, while he was reading a 'Curious George' book to her, she climbed down from his lap and ran to get a miniature Rolls Royce--an exact replica of the car pictured in the book.

If a 2-year-old child can make such connections, doesn't that show the importance of teaching children the right things early on? We can do this by using what I call the FIRM principle: Familiarity, Interest, Recognition, and Modeling. This follows Moses' pattern in Deuteronomy 6 of taking every opportunity to teach biblical truths so that children become familiar with them and make them a part of their lives. Using their interest as teaching opportunities, we repeat Bible stories so they become recognizable, while modeling a godly life before them.

Let's give the children in our lives a FIRM foundation by teaching them about God's love, Christ's salvation, and the importance of godly living.
---
Build your children's lives on the
firm foundation of the Word. ~~

-ODB/DB

#63921 - 08/30/11 09:54 AM Re: Foundation of Our Security ~~Living Your Life as God's Ambassador ! [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

-Living Your Life as God's Ambassador !

"Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God."
2 Corinthians 5:20 cross

If you look back over the history of the United States, whenever the U.S. was in a tense situation with another country, the President would almost always send an ambassador to try and make peace with the other country. Sometimes it would be a close advisor or the Secretary of State, but someone had to go and represent the interests of the country.

Now, it is absolutely imperative if the President is going to send representatives to Iraq or any other nation of the world, especially when there is a great amount of tension, that he choose the right ambassador. That ambassador must best represent our nation's interests when it comes to bringing reconciliation between the U.S. and its enemy.

When the Bible speaks in today's passage about you and I being
ambassadors, it means we carry the authority of God when we seek to bring reconciliation in the world. We're God's
representatives living in enemy-occupied territory. So Jesus gives you and me the privilege of helping make peace with the world on God's behalf by sharing the news of what Christ did on the cross.

We have a tremendous responsibility to represent our President (God), to the world. So as you live your life, remember who you represent and your mission to bring His peace to those who are far from Him.

THE BIBLE SAYS THAT IN CHRIST, YOU REPRESENT GOD ON EARTH AS HIS AMBASSADOR. SO AS YOU LIVE YOUR LIFE, REMEMBER WHO YOU REPRESENT AND THE WORK YOU SHOULD BE ABOUT!

#63927 - 08/31/11 02:36 PM Re: Foundation of Our Security ~~ANT WORLD ~ [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

-ANT WORLD
2 Timothy 4:9-18

---
Demas has forsaken
me, having loved this
present world.
--2 Timothy 4:10

---
ONE of the highlights of my work as a college president is commencement. One year, while walking to the graduation ceremony, I was excited by the thought that our graduates were ready to go out to engage the world with the transforming power of the kingdom of Christ. On my way, I noticed some industrious ants busily going about their routine. I thought, There are much greater things happening than the building of sand piles!

It's easy for us to get lost in "ant world"--to be so busy with our routines that we miss the joy of personally embracing the bigger picture of God's great work around the world.

The work of the Spirit is sweeping across South America, thousands in Africa are coming to know Christ daily, persecuted Christians are thriving, and the Asian Rim is throbbing with the pulse of the gospel! Do those thoughts ever capture your heart? Your prayer life? Your checkbook?

Our preoccupation with lesser things reminds me of Paul's report that "Demas has forsaken me, having loved this present world" (2 Tim. 4:10). I wonder if Demas regretted abandoning the gospel for the sand piles of this world?

Let's get out of "ant world" and engage our hearts and lives in spreading the gospel of Jesus Christ.
---------
Don't let smaller things distract you from
the bigger work of God around the world.

ODB/JS

#63928 - 08/31/11 02:47 PM Re: Foundation of Our Security ~~Being a Witness for Jesus [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

--Witnessing for Jesus

"But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon
you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth."
--Acts 1:8
bible

I used to go to the aerobics center with a man named John. And everybody at that fitness club knew John. If they didn't, they met him within about five minutes! I remember watching John and how encouraged I was by his engaging witness for Christ. He just loved people!

And you know, there were so many people at that gym who didn't
know Christ. They weren't interested in church if they'd even ever been to church at all! So it took someone like John who could go in with the joy of Jesus in his heart to share the Lord with those people.

I realize that not all of us have a personality like John's. But each of us can be engaging in our own way by simply being real with others. We can be thoughtful, kind, and authentic with our lives. In fact, one of my favorite things to do with nonbelievers is shatter their stereotype of what a Christian is just by being a genuine person.

Being an engaging witness means that you just flow from the inside out with an authentic witness of Christ in your life. It means that in everything you do, God is glorified. And in every situation you experience, you put others before you. If you live that way, your life will be a powerful witness for Christ!

LIVE AN AUTHENTIC LIFE WITH GOD AS THE CENTER AND YOU'LL BE A POWERFUL WITNESS FOR JESUS CHRIST!

--Jack Graham

#63929 - 08/31/11 03:14 PM Re: Foundation of Our Security ~~Reasons To Surrender to Him [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

-Reasons to Surrender
1 CORINTHIANS 6:19-20

God tells us to surrender our lives to Him. This is no small task. All our plans, every desire we feel, each entitlement that once seemed our right—everything is put aside in order to make way for our King's will. But perhaps you have wondered why God can ask this of us.

The Lord has every right to demand that we give Him our all. First, Scripture teaches us that He is sovereign—the King and Ruler over the entire universe. As a result, we are under His authority, whether we choose to submit or not. Next, through His death and resurrection, Jesus saved us from our sin and its consequences. Therefore, we are indebted to Him more than we could ever repay. And finally, He sustains us; we should consider each breath and heartbeat a gift from Him.

Undoubtedly, God is entitled to ask that we yield our life to Him. At the same time, surrender is in our best interest. The Father promises that following Him leads to hope and an established future. cross Psalm 31:19 states, "How great is Your goodness, which You have stored up for those who fear You . . ." So, while He is the Almighty One with all authority to demand our life, He promises to care for us and to do what will benefit us most.

Are you willing to put yourself aside in order to follow Jesus? His way is best, and it offers hope, joy, and peace. We will not always like everything He chooses at the moment, but He promises to work all things for good. Will you trust God enough to hand the reins over to Him?

--In Touch / JESUS IS LORD!

#63936 - 08/31/11 08:15 PM Re: Foundation of Our Security ~~Reasons To Surrender to Him [Re: Abigail]
Lynnmn Offline

Master Elite Member

The Foundation of Our Security

For believers, our final destiny is described in Revelations 21:4
Jesus offers us the best of hope! For a much better world!

#64337 - 10/05/11 10:09 AM Re: Foundation of Our Security ~~~Occupational Hazard [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

-The Dispensation of Grace
--- bible
"If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward." (Ephesians 3:2) -

So-called "dispensationalism" has had both its advocates and opponents among Bible-believing Christians. The Greek word translated "dispensation" (oikonomia), from which we derive our English word "economy," actually means an "economy," or also a "stewardship."

The number and nature of the various "dispensations" or "economies" through which the Creator has dealt with His human creation during the course of history has been the subject of considerable discussion and variation among commentators. Possible distinct dispensations might include the post-Eden economy instituted after sin and God's curse came into the world, the post-diluvian economy established by Noah after the Flood, and the economy begun by Abraham when God began to work especially with the nation of Israel. However, none of these are actually called "dispensations" in the Scriptures, so any such listing is bound to be somewhat arbitrary.

There are two dispensations, however, specifically called such in Scripture. One is the "dispensation of the fulness of times," when God will "gather together in one all things in Christ" (Ephesians 1:10). This will be the eternal economy of the new heavens and new earth (Revelation 21-22).

Then there is this present "dispensation of the grace of God." We, like Paul, have been called as "stewards of the manifold grace of God" (1 Peter 4:10). So, like Paul, each of us could say that "a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me" (1 Corinthians 9:17), and that "I am made a minister (or 'servant'), according to the dispensation of God which is given to me" (Colossians 1:25).

Thus the dispensation of grace is a real stewardship responsibility committed to each believer.

--ICR/HMM

#64358 - 10/07/11 09:01 AM Re: Foundation of Our Security ~~~Confused Priorities [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

-Confused Priorties
-Haggai 2:1-9

"'But now be strong, O Zerubbabel,'declares the Lord. 'Be strong, O Joshua son of Jehozadak, the high priest. Be strong, all you people of the land,' declares the Lord,' and work. For I am with you.'" (Haggai 2:4)

The people of Judah had been exiled to Babylon in 586 B.C., the temple and Jerusalem destroyed. Now, the returning Jews who began rebuilding their temple were sidetracked and failing to complete the job. On behalf of God, Haggai confronted the people of their own selfishness and of living in beautiful homes while allowing God's house to sit unfinished. Putting their own desires and possessions ahead of God, they confused their priorities.

There's something that hits close to home with this passage. The world and its cares hold sway over us, too, and it is easy to lose sight of our calling to be students of and ambassadors for Christ. In just one verse, Haggai's word to the people from the Lord admonishes them three times to "be strong."

This Hebrew word means binding and girding, the opposite of careless, or faintheartedness. This is just what we need to hear, also! God's Spirit remains upon us; His presence empowers and strengthens us, binding and girding us for His service and His priorities.
--
God has chosen us to be His agents, working with His resources. He is seeking out willing hearts and hands.

--Haven Today

#64359 - 10/07/11 11:41 AM Re: Foundation of Our Security ~~~Watching God Work [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

-Watching God Work
-PSALM 66

------ bible
The Lord's fingerprints can be detected all through history. At times His work is dramatically obvious—like parting the Red Sea—but other times, it's unnoticeable to our physical senses. Our lack of perception, however, never hinders His activities. He keeps working whether we're aware or not. But blessings await those who develop spiritual discernment to see what He is doing.

Preconceived ideas about how the Lord works can be a significant hindrance to perception. When He answers our prayers, we rejoice and readily acknowledge His active intervention on our behalf. But what if He doesn't give us what we request? Too often we then conclude that He's not doing anything. The psalmist recognized that the Lord works in a variety of ways—sometimes with a great deliverance (vv. 5-6) and sometimes through painful situations (vv. 10-12).

Another problem that can prevent us from seeing God's hand in our lives is a lack of attention. The demands of a busy lifestyle claim our time and concentration, leaving little room for quiet moments in His presence. Without periods of meditation and prayer, our spiritual senses become dull. But those who read Scripture regularly will learn to recognize His activity in their lives, because He always acts in accordance with His Word.

Eyes which are focused on the Lord open to a new perspective. Your faith will grow as you begin to discern His activity in your life. The joy and excitement of seeing His involvement in both big and small areas will motivate you to praise and thank Him, even in the hard times.

--In Touch

#64378 - 10/08/11 09:12 AM Re: Foundation of Our Security ~~~Our Top Priority [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

-Our Top Priority
-LUKE 10:38-42
angelwing

Jesus had great affection for Martha, her sister Mary, and her brother Lazarus (John 11:5). One day He sent word to them that He and His disciples were coming to visit. The women started preparing their home, as there was a lot to accomplish before the men arrived. Martha, however, in all her busyness, lost sight of the importance of spending time with the Lord.

Our relationship with Jesus is to have first place above all else in life. Thoughts, attitudes, and actions are to flow out of our intimate connection with Him. But, as we have all no doubt discovered, this is not easy to do. Our own selfish nature clamors for supremacy, and the world with all its temptations encourages us to indulge ourselves. Even while carrying out the Lord's work, we can lose sight of our first priority–deepening our intimacy with Christ.

When Jesus arrived, Mary stopped what she was doing so she could listen to His words and learn from Him. Martha, distracted by all that was still to be done, kept working. The Lord affirmed Mary's choice to be with Him and urged Martha to follow her sister's example. Both women expressed their love and care for Jesus through their actions, but Mary chose the better way.

Nothing should supersede the believer's relationship with Christ; both character and conduct should reflect Him (Eph. 4:24). During Jesus' visit, Martha let her service for Him become more important than time with Him. If friends observed your life, what would they say matters to you most?

--In Touch

#64445 - 10/13/11 12:41 PM Re: Foundation of Our Security ~~~God Never Gives Up On His People [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

-GOD NEVER GIVES UP
-by David Wilkerson
[May 19, 1931- April 27, 2011]

“What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he loses one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness, and go after the one which is lost until he finds it? (Luke 15:4).

Jesus is speaking here of a sheep that had been in the fold. Clearly, this represents a member of Christ’s flock, one that has been well fed and led by a loving shepherd. Yet this sheep has gotten lost, so the shepherd has gone out looking for it.

Note what Jesus says about the shepherd here: “He goes after the one that is lost until he finds it” God never gives up on anyone who belongs to Him and has gone astray. Instead, He goes out to find that sheep, embraces it and brings it back into the fold.

Simply put, you can go so far into sin that you come to very brink of hell, and He will still pursue you. David
testifies, “If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there” (Psalm 139:8).

We have all heard the expression “hell on earth.” That is what life is like for those who run from God. Their “bed in hell” is an awful, terrible condition. It means to be captivated by sin, drifting so far from the Lord that you eventually fall into a lifeless slumber. This slumber is accompanied by a
nagging fear that whispers, “You are going deeper and deeper into hell. You may not ever get back to God.”

Christ’s message to us is, “You may have made your bed in hell, but you are not too deep in sin for Me to reach you and receive you with open arms.”

When the shepherd finds the lost, injured sheep, he carries the wounded creature into his house. Then he calls all his friends and neighbors together, exclaiming, “Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost”
(Luke 15:6).

“Likewise there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine just persons who need no repentance” (Luke 15:7). cross

#64446 - 10/13/11 01:27 PM Re: Foundation of Our Security ~~~Hold Fast! [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

-Hold Fast...!

BIBLE MEDITATION:
"I sought the LORD, and He heard me, and delivered me from all my fears." Psalm 34:4

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
The times that will most strengthen and enrich your life are those when you go barehanded, armed with only the Spirit of God, against the red lion of hell--and prevail. Remember Samson, who killed a lion with his bare hands, then ate honey out of its carcass (see Judges 14:6-9). Whatever is hounding and threatening your life right now, you must hold fast to the Word of God that promises deliverance and hope, power and strength, wisdom and guidance.

ACTION POINT:
Look beyond the physical evidence to the spiritual promise of God. Problems are opportunities for God's power to be manifest in your life.

"The battle is the Lords!"

#64571 - 10/24/11 09:42 AM Re: Foundation of Our Security --Goal of An Unbroken Circle [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

-The Goal of An Unbroken Circle

-BIBLE MEDITATION:

"In the fear of the LORD is strong confidence: and His children shall have a place of refuge." Proverbs 14:26

-DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:

The devil hates families who worship together. He will allow parents to be religious, but he does not want them to take their children to heaven with them. As a result, we're losing an entire generation. Our children are being left behind to die and go to hell because we are compromising with Satan.

Catherine Booth, wife of the founder of the Salvation Army, prayed, "Oh God, I will not stand before Thee without all my children."

-ACTION POINT:

There are many fathers and mothers today who need to say that. Stand firm, Mom. Stand firm, Dad. Gather those children close to you and love them to Jesus. - cross

#64624 - 10/27/11 09:47 AM Re: Foundation of Our Security --Understanding Your Call [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

Understanding Your Call
MARK 8:34-35
angelwing

I like to use the word believer when talking about God's children, as it specifically refers to those who have trusted Jesus Christ as Savior. That is a much smaller population than those who label themselves Christian. But did you know that even fewer people could rightly be called "followers"? These are the folks who passionately pursue the Lord's will in all things.

Are you a believer or a follower? Trusting in Jesus Christ is fundamental, but doing so is the first step, not the culmination, of a person's faith. Our primary purpose is to take a life-long journey following in the Lord's footsteps, honoring Him with our actions and speech, and always increasing in biblical wisdom.

A follower's life is summed up in the phrase complete obedience. In fact, Jesus defined true Christians as those who prove their love for Him by keeping His word (John 14:23).
(trying to continue, posting error)

Edited by Abigail (10/27/11 09:49 AM)
Edit Reason: not posting entire contents

#64625 - 10/27/11 10:03 AM Re: Foundation of Our Security --Understanding Your Call [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

(continued from 'Understanding Your Call')
-Page/2

bible
When it comes to obeying God, there are really only two responses--"I will" or "I won't." It's tempting to say, "I will, but...", as some of Jesus' would-be disciples did, but that's a roundabout way of saying 'no' (Luke 9:59). Followers remain faithful to the Lord's plan whether doing so is easy or hard. Not only that, but they proclaim Him in both blessing and calamity, and go even when they don't like where He leads.

Followers pursue the Lord because they know that the reward is a deeper, more passionate relationship with Him. They are not just waiting to spend eternity with God in heaven. They realize that eternity begins now, as they accoumpany him on the righteous path He has set before them.
We Press On, in Jesus Name!

--In Touch

#64660 - 11/04/11 12:51 PM Re: Foundation of Our Security --Follow The Leader [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

-Follow the Leader

"Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample. (For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ:...)." (Philippians 3:17-18) bible

Godly leaders are responsible for living exemplary lives so that those whom they teach will both follow and eventually become leaders of others. "Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ," Paul demanded of the Corinthian church (1 Corinthians 11:1). "In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works," he instructed Titus (Titus 2:7). But Paul was first a follower of the life example of Christ.

Today's verse uses some unusual terms to both define the responsibility to follow and mark those walking after Paul's lifestyle. Memos is Greek for "follow," compounded with a prefix that means "together." Our English word "mimic" comes from memos. We are expected to imitate the examples of those who lead godly lives, who themselves are committed to emulate the Lord Jesus.

Further, we are expected to "mark" those living after godly examples. The Greek word skopeo is the strongest word among several for identifying someone or something. It has the sense of intense observation. In the secular literature, it is sometimes used for a spy. God expects us to pay careful attention to those who "have the rule over [us]" (Hebrews 13:17).

And we are to watch out for those who may influence us for evil. There are "enemies" of the Lord Jesus. Those are sometimes among us, and we must "mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them" (Romans 16:17). May God give us the discernment to know the difference between "good and evil" (Hebrews 5:14).

-ICR/HMM III

#64949 - 11/22/11 06:37 PM Re: Foundation of Our Security ~~ONE HEART AT A TIME [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

-ONE HEART
AT A TIME

Philemon 1:12-22
---
"...no longer as a
slave but more than
a slave--a beloved
brother.
--Philemon 1:16

---
Quaker John Woolman was an itinerant preacher who waged his own personal campaign to tend slavery in colonial America. Woolman met with slave-holders to speak of the injustice of holding other human beings as property. Although Woolman did not eradicate slavery completely, he did persuade many masters to free their slaves. His success was due to individual, personal persuasion.

The book of Philemon contains a similar one-on-one appeal. Onesimus was a runaway slave who had escaped from his Christian master Philemon. Onesimus had come to faith through Paul's ministry, and now Paul was sending him back to Philemon with these words: "Perhaps he departed for a while for this purpose, that you might receive him forever, no longer as a slave but more than a slave--a beloved brother" (vv.15-16).

Although we don't know if Onesimus was set free from slavery, his new faith in Jesus had changed his relationship with his Christian master. He was now also a brother in Christ. Paul was influencing his world one heart at a time.

By the transforming power of the gospel, people can change. Like Woolman and like Paul, let's seek to influence our world one heart at a time.
---
The kindest thing you can do for another
is to show him the truth. ~~
angelwing

ODB/DF

#65364 - 12/29/11 10:53 AM Re: Foundation of Our Security ~~A Growing Belligerence [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

-A GROWING
BELLIGERENCE

Philippians 4:4-9
---
If it is possible, as
much as depends on
you, live peaceably
with all men.
--Romans 12:18
cross
---
On a recent trip, the flight attendant asked if I flew very often. When I said I did, he asked, "Have you noticed people on planes becoming increasingly more belligerent and aggressive in recent months?" I had to confess that I agreed with him. We began talking about what might be contributing to it--things like increased airport security, higher costs, fewer services, and a general dissatisfaction with travel. As if to prove the point, our conversation was interrupted by a passenger who refused to sit in his assigned seat because he liked some else's seat assigment better!

When we encounter anger and belligerence, the follower of Christ can be a peacemaker. Paul wrote to the church at Rome with this challenge, "If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men" (Rom. 12:18). What does that mean? For one thing, it means that we must control what we can control. We can't control the attitudes of others, but we can control our response.

When we see angry or hostile attitudes displayed around us, we can show the heart of the Prince of Peace by responding graciously in a peaceful manner. In this way we will demonstrate the attitude of our Savior in a world filled with a growing belligerence.
---
-The world needs a peace that passes all misunderstanding.

--ODB/BC

#65380 - 12/31/11 10:26 AM Re: Foundation of Our Security ~~~What Does It Mean to Follow Jesus? [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

-What Does It Mean to Follow Jesus?
-Matthew 4:18-25 (recommended reading)

----- crackthebook
When Jesus called His disciples, they immediately dropped everything and followed Him. We might think, 'The Christian life must have been simpler for them than for us. When Jesus started walking, they fell in line behind Him. As He taught, they heard His voice. By watching His interactions with people, they learned from His example. But how are we to follow Jesus, since He's no longer on earth? We can't touch, see, or hear Him the way they could.'

When Christ was about to leave this earth, He promised His disciples that He would send them a Helper who would never leave them. In fact, this Helper would actually live within them (John 14:16-17). Today we follow Jesus by hearing and heeding His indwelling Holy Spirit—that's the closest guidance we can ever have.

The Spirit does for us all the things Christ did for His disciples. cross He guides us each step of the way and teaches us the truths of God. But His work actually goes beyond that. The Holy Spirit transforms us from the inside out and enables us to serve and obey the Lord. He helps us discover God's will for our lives and then give us the desire and strength to follow the path He's planned for us. All we have to do is follow.

An essential requirement for following Jesus is sensitivity to the Holy Spirit's voice. The more yielded you are to His guidance as He speaks to you through God's Word and during prayer, the greater your spiritual hearing will become. Hearing Him is the only way you'll ever progress in your Christian life.

--In Touch

#65453 - 01/07/12 09:54 AM Re: Foundation of Our Security ~~~Enabled to Give [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

-Enabled to Give
Luke 18:18-30

"If it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously." (Romans 12:8b) bible

God is sovereign, even in the uneven distribution of wealth, just as He is sovereign in the distribution of His gifts of grace. Some people seem distined to finanacial success while others are not.

There is a temptation for those with above average wealth to use it as a means of power. That alone is not necessarily bad if the power is used in submission to Jesus Christ and for His glory. Often, however, our wayward hearts use wealth to manipulate others to our own ends. We are naturally controlling. The love of money grows great, making it very hard to keep Jesus as our first love (see Matthew 6:24).

Paul says to give generously. He menas that we should give "with no strings attached." When you give, allow the receiver to be accountable to God and not to you. It requires faith, a measure of which God has given to the giver. We can give with no strings attached because Christ's love for us came not with strings attached, but with overflowing grace and with nails attaching Him to a cross.
---
Regardless of material wealth, you are rich in Christ. Give freely of the treasure of the Gospel that you have in "clay jars" (see: 2 Corinthians 4:7).

--Haven Today

#65623 - 01/29/12 06:52 PM Re: Foundation of Our Security ~~~What Is Salvation? [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

-What Is Salvation?

-BIBLE MEDITATION

"Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God." 1 John 5:1 angelwing

-DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT

What is salvation? Not a creed. You say, "Well, I believe the plan of salvation." You can believe the plan of salvation and go straight to hell. You're not saved by the plan of salvation, you're saved by the man of salvation.

Salvation is not a creed. It's not a code. You say, "Well, I believe if you live right you'll go to heaven." If you could be saved by living right, then Calvary was a blunder. It's not a cause. You say, "I'm a member of a good, fundamental, Bible believing church." It's not any of these things. It's Christ.

Salvation is not believing something, it is receiving Someone. The true gospel is one that centers in Jesus Christ.

-ACTION POINT:

Ask God to give you a divine opportunity to boldly share Jesus with someone today. Maybe it's a co-worker, maybe it's your child. Maybe it's a stranger that sits next to you at a restaurant. Be strong and of good courage, God will go before you to prepare the way.

--Adrian Rogers

#65792 - 02/12/12 06:46 PM Re: Foundation of Our Security ~~~A Likeable Savior -- [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

-A Likeable Savior

“Be agreeable, be sympathetic, be loving, be compassionate, be humble.” angelwing I Peter 3:8, The Message

They called Jesus a blasphemer, but they never called him a braggart. They accused him of heresy, but never arrogance. He was branded as a radical, but never unapproachable.

There is no hint that he ever used his heavenly status for personal gain. Ever. You just don’t get the impression that his neighbors grew sick of his haughtiness and asked, “Well, who do you think made you God?”

His faith made him likeable.

--Max Lucado

#65875 - 02/20/12 10:20 AM Re: Foundation of Our Security ~~~Romans 8:31-39 [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

-The Foundation of Our Security
-Romans 8:31-39 (recommended reading)

--- bible
Persecution exists everywhere. You can undergo harassment or mistreatment for your faith without moving to a foreign land where God is openly despised. While such abuse may damage our livelihood, alienate friends, or even take our life, it should not devastate our faith--that kind of harm happens only when believers are gripping things they'd rather not surrender.

What can be taken from someone who owns nothing? If he acknowledges God as the owner of all his possessions, then he can't ever suffer loss.

What servitude can be forced on one who already does the will of Another? He who chooses a life of humility cannot be humiliated for doing what is right.

How might a dead man be killed? Only one thing can be taken from a person who has been crucified to this world and its allurements: his physical life. And he will freely exchange that for the eternal reward of heaven.

If believers are caught up in what's around them, persecution can damage their faith. But when people yield everything in their lives to Jesus Christ and acknowledge His total control, they don't worry about what is in His hands. They trust that God will see them through both the blessings and hardships that comes their way (Ps. 23).

Nothing we own on earth can go through the gates of heaven with us. Therefore, the best place to stack our earthly treasure is on the altar. Surrender yourself and your possessions. Draw close to the all-sufficient Father, who will comfort you and guide you through persecution.

--In Touch

#65987 - 02/28/12 11:28 AM Re: Foundation of Our Security ~~Jesus: A Personal Shepherd [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

-JESUS: A Personal Shepherd
-Provides His Presence and Rest ~~

Years after David wrote [Psalm 23], another Bethlehem Shepherd would say: "In My Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also" (John 14:2,3). cross

Note the promises of Jesus. "I will come again and receive you to Myself." He pledges to take us home. He does not delegate this task. He may send missionaries to teach you, angels to protect you, teachers to guide you, singers to inspire you, and physicians to heal you, but He sends no one to take you. He reserves this job for Himself. "I will come back and take you home." He is your personal Shepherd. And He is personally responsible to lead you home. And because He is present when any of His sheep dies, you can say what David said, "I will fear no evil" [Psalm 23:4].

...And when God calls us into the deep valley of death, He will be with us. Dare we think that He would abandon us in the moment of death? Would a father force his child to swim the deep alone? Would the shepherd require his sheep to journey to the highlands alone? Of course not. Would God require His child to journey to eternity alone? Absolutely not! He is with you!

What God said to Moses, He says to you: "My Presence will go with you" (Exodus 33:14).

-By: Max Lucado

#65990 - 02/28/12 01:16 PM Re: Foundation of Our Security ~~Go Tell The Brethren! [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

-GO TELL THE BRETHERN
-By: David Wilkerson

[May 19, 1931 - April 27, 2011]

When Jesus appeared to Mary Magdalene in the garden by the tomb, she supposed that He was the gardener. Her heart was heavy and she cried out, “Sir, if You have carried Him away, tell me where You have laid Him” (John 20:15).

"Jesus said to her, ‘Mary!’ She turned and said to Him, ‘Rabboni!’(which is to say, Teacher)" (verse 16). cross Jesus knows the names of those who love Him—and He called Mary by her name.

Jesus then told her, "Do not cling to Me" (verse 17). Jesus knew Mary was not going to let go of Him. Her heart was crying, "I lost You once, but I'm never going to lose You again!"

It must have taken a lot of courage for Mary to heed Jesus' words to her. You see, He told her He was going to be gone for awhile and she should go to the others and ". . . say to them, ‘I am ascending to My Father’" (verse 17).Mary quickly returned to the disciples who had returned home after seeing that Jesus was no longer in the tomb. These simple fishermen were gathered together in one room, perhaps cleaning their old fishing gear. They were not theologians but they had been trained for three years at the Master's feet.

It was Mary, however, who had the revelation! These men had to sit and listen to a woman who had heard from Jesus. Can you imagine the scene? "What did He say? What did He look like?" Mary answered simply, "All I know is, I saw Him.
And He told me to come here and tell you something!"

I love to hear devoted men and women of God say the words Mary said: "I've heard from Him and I have something to say!" The cry of my heart every time I prepare to preach is, "Lord, if You are not going to talk to me, I am not going
to talk to them!"

Like Mary Magdalene, we should all have a heart so given to the Lord that He gives us His mind and says, "Go tell the brethren!"

#66895 - 05/01/12 09:06 AM Re: Foundation of Our Security --The Church: What Is It All About? [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

The Church: What Is It All About?
-Please Read | Colossians 1:18, 24

"And He [Jesus] is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things He may have the preeminence." bible

Church buildings are plentiful in our country. Locating one may be easy, but wisely deciding which to join involves more effort. God's Word gives us some specific instructions in this matter.

First, let's explore the original biblical meaning of the word "church." The term ecclesia meant a group of people who are called out of the world's system by God's grace for the purpose of assembling to worship and serve Christ. Ephesians 5:29-30 further specifies that believers are the body and Jesus is the head of such a fellowship. Under His leadership, we can enjoy the unity and purpose that He intended.

God's design for this sacred gathering involves worship, instruction, encouragement, evangelism, and ministry to those in need, both within the fellowship and outside its walls. A healthy, vibrant congregation is possible only when members rely fully on the Holy Spirit's guidance. The work of the church is to be done in His power, in humble, prayerful submission to the Lord.

To help you determine whether a church is following the design laid out in Scripture, here are some important questions to ask: Do they believe God's Word is infallible and inerrant? Is the church disciplining her people? Does the fellowship have some kind of missionary or evangelistic program?

Joining a congregation is an important decision, as a fellowship of believers is one tool God uses to mature and encourage His children. Those three questions can be helpful in discerning God's will. Listen for His Spirit to warn or direct as you prayerfully investigate your options.

--In Touch

#67049 - 05/14/12 03:27 PM Re: Foundation of Our Security --UNANSWERED PRAYER [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

-UNANSWERED
PRAYER --

Luke 18:1-8
---
[Jesus] spoke a
parable to them, that
men always ought
to pray and not lose
heart. --Luke 18:1
prayer
---
ONE of my biggest struggles is unanswered prayer. Maybe you can relate. You ask God to rescue a friend from addiction, to grant salvation to a loved one, to heal a sick child, to mend a relationship. All these things you think must be God's will. For years you pray. But you hear nothing back from Him and you see no results.

You remind the Lord that He's powerful. That your request is a good thing. You plead. You wait. You doubt--maybe He doesn't hear you, or maybe He isn't so powerful after all. You quit asking--for days or months. You feel guilty about doubting. You remember that God wants you to take your needs to Him, and you tell Him your requests again.

We may feel we're like the persistent widow in Jesus' parable recorded in Luke 18. She keeps coming to the judge, badgering him and trying to wear him down so he'll give in. But we know that God is kinder and more powerful than the judge in the parable. We trust Him, for He is good and wise and sovereign. We remember that Jesus said we "always ought to pray and not lose heart" (v.1).

So we ask Him, "Summon Your power, O God; show us Your strength, O God, as You have done before" (Ps. 68:28) NIV).
-And then we trust Him...and wait.
---
-Delay is not denial so keep praying.

--ODB/AC

#67288 - 06/04/12 07:44 PM Re: Foundation of Our Security --/ JESUS: Foundation of Church [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

-Jesus: The Foundation
-of the Church ~

Could someone build a temple and forget why? Could someone construct a palace, yet forget the king? Could someone sculpt a tribute and forget the hero?

You answer those questions. Answer them in a church. The next time you enter an assembly of worship, position yourslef where you can see the people. Then decide.

You can tell the ones who remember the slain One. They're wide-eyes and expectant. They're children watching the unwrapping of a gift. They're servants standing still as a King passes. You don't doze in the presence of royalty. And you don't yawn while receiving a gift, especially when the giver is the King Himself!

You can also tell the ones who see only the temple. Their eyes wander. Their feet shuffle. Their hands doodle, and their mouths open--not to sing, but to yawn. For no matter how hard they try to stay amazed, their eyes start to glaze over. All temples, even the Taj Mahal, lose their luster after a while

The temple gazers don't mean to be bored. They love the church. They can cite its programs and praise its pastors. They don't mean to grow stale. They put on hats and hose and coats and ties and come every week. But still, something is missing. The One they once planned to honor hasn't been seen in a while.

But those who have seen Him can't seem to forget Him. They find Him, often in spite of the temple rather than because of it. They brush the dust away and stand ever impressed before His tomb--His empty tomb. cross

The temple builders and the Savior seekers. You'll find them both in the same church, on the same pew--at times, even in the same suit. One sees the structure and says, "O what a great church." The other sees the Savior and says," O What a great Christ! inlove

-Which do you see?

--The Applause of Heaven
-By: Max Lucado

#68062 - 08/11/12 06:28 PM Re: Foundation of Our Security --/ Our Firm Foundation [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

-Our Firm Foundation
-Read | Luke 6:46-49 (recommended reading) bible

-(excerpt)" ...the one who has heard and has not acted accordingly, is like a man who built a house on the ground without any foundation; and the torrent burst against it and immediately it collapsed, and the ruin of that house was great" --(verse 49)

-God has ways of shaking the world when He is at work. He literally caused the ground to quake when Jesus died on the cross, and Hebrews 12:26 describes a time still future when the earth will undergo a similar display of His power and presence.

Likewise in our present day, He often lets the foundations of our world be shaken--whether political alliances, financial systems, or other forms of human security. Then we can see the flimsiness of the structures on which we've based our pride and hopes. Individual lives are also often shaken when a family experiences crisis or a marriage begins to unravel. If we have built on the fragile cornerstones of human wisdom, pride, and conditional love, things may look good for a while, but a weak foundation causes collapse when storms hit.

While adversity affects everyone, we can have peace in knowing that God always has a greater purpose when He allows upheaval in our world. Hard times can also shake believers out of apathy and self-focus, reminding us not to trust in ourselves or the temporary structures of this world.

There is only one secure foundation: a genuine, deep relationship with Jesus Christ, which will carry you through any and all turmoil. No matter what storms are raging all around, you'll stand firm if you stand on His love.

It's not enough for believers to simply enjoy the security of knowing that our "house" is built on a solid foundation.
As God's ambassadors on earth, we have a responsibility to extend His compassion to people whose lives are crumbling. Be a living message of hope to those around you today.

--In Touch

#70050 - 02/14/13 10:34 AM Re: Foundation of Our Security = [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

-SECOND BEST?

--Genesis 29:16-30
---
While we were still
sinners, Christ died
for us. --Romans 5:8
cross
---
Leah must have laid awake all night thinking of the moment when her new husband would awaken. She knew that it was not her face he expected to see, but Rachel's. Jacob had been a victim of deception, and when he realized that a "bait and switch" had occurred, he quickly made a new deal with Laban to claim the woman he had been promised (Gen. 29:25-27).

How you ever felt insignificant or second-best? Leah felt that way. It's seen in the names she chose for her first three sons (vv.31-35). Reuben means "See, a Son"; Simeon means "Heard"; and Levi means "Attached." Their names were all plays on words that indicated the lack of love she felt from Jacob. With each son't birth, she hoped she would earn Jacob's affection. But slowly Leah's attitude changed, and she named her fourth son Judah, which means "Praise" (v.35). Though she felt unloved by her husband, perhaps she now realized she was greatly loved by God.

We can never "earn" God's love, because it's not dependent on what we do. In truth, the Bible tells us that "while we were still sinners, Christ died for us" (Rom. 5:8). In God's eyes, we are worth the best that heaven could offer--the gift of His precious Son.

Love sent the Savior to die in my stead.
Why should He love me so?
Meekly to Calvary's cross He was led.
Why should He love me so?

---
-NOTHING SPEAKS MORE CLEARLY OF GOD'S LOVE THAN THE CROSS.
--ODB/CHK

#70052 - 02/14/13 01:12 PM Re: Foundation of Our Security = [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

--WE ARE HIS BODY!
--By: David Wilkerson

[May 19, 1931 - April 27, 2011]

"Ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular"
---(1 Corinthians 12:27). bible

We are the very members of Christ's body! By faith, we are made bone of His bone and flesh of His flesh. And now we all have been adopted into one family: "So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another" (Romans 12:5).

You see, out of the grave came a new Man. And from the time of the cross, all who repent and believe in this new Man are gathered up in Him: "By one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit. For the body is not one member, but many" (1 Corinthians 12:13-14).

There is no longer any black, white, yellow, brown, Jew, Muslim or Gentile. We are all of one blood in Christ Jesus. And because of Christ's work on the Cross, man could no longer attempt to be holy by keeping the law and the commandments. He could not become holy by good works, righteous deeds, human
effort or strivings of the flesh.

"That he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby" (Ephesians 2:16). "Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in
himself of twain [two] one new man, so making peace" (verse 15).

Only one Man would be accepted by the Father—the new, resurrected Man! And when this new Man presented to His Father all who had faith in Him, the Father responded, "I receive you all as holy—because you are in My holy Son!" "He hath made us accepted in the beloved" (1:6).

Moreover, we have been sealed by the Holy Spirit: "That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ . . .in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise" (1:10, 13).

So, you see, holiness is not something we do, or attain, or work up. Rather, it is something we believe. God accepts us as holy only as we have faith in Christ and abide in Him. The path to holiness is not through human ability, but through faith!
----
"We are saved by grace through faith, and that not of ourselves. It is the gift of God, not of works lest anyman should boast."

#70079 - 02/18/13 11:27 AM Re: Foundation of Our Security / --Glowing in the Dark [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

--Glowing in the Dark

-BIBLE MEDITATION:
"So when they had rowed about five and twenty or thirty furlongs, they see Jesus walking on the sea, and drawing nigh unto the ship; and they were afraid. John 6:19

-DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
In the Bible there are correcting storms and there are perfecting storms. Jonah, who spent the night on a foam blubber mattress, was in a correcting storm because he was out of the will of God. He was running from God. And God sent a correcting storm.

But there are also perfecting storms. These disciples were not out of the will of God. Why were they in a storm? Because--don't miss this--they were in the will of God. It was Jesus, Matthew tells us, who constrained them to get into that boat. They were in this storm because they were obeying Jesus. Why would Jesus want them to be in a storm? Because He wanted them to grow.

-ACTION POINT:
-I've often shared these words, written by Robert Browning Hamilton:

"I walked a mile with pleasure, she chatted all the way. But left me none the wiser, for all she had to say. I walked a mile with sorrow, not a word said she. But oh, the things I learned from sorrow, when sorrow walked with me." Is that not true? "Thou hast enlarged me when I was in distress." Someone said that faith is like film. It's developed in the dark. That's when we learn to trust the Lord.

--Adrian Rogers

#70172 - 02/26/13 03:06 PM Re: Foundation of Our Security ~== [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

--Abraham Saw My Day

-BIBLE MEDITATION:
"Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day: and he saw it, and was glad." John 8:56
-- bible
--DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
It is one of the most dramatic scenes in the Old Testament: Isaac, the promised son, was stretched out on an altar. His father Abraham lifted a gleaming knife into the sky, prepared to plunge it into the heart of his son. But then he heard a voice: "Abraham, Abraham, don't harm the lad. I have provided a substitute." Abraham looked--and there was a ram caught in a thicket. The Hebrew word means "a thicket of thorns." His head was caught in the thorns. God said "Abraham, take the ram I have provided and sacrifice him instead." That ram caught in a thicket, crowned with thorns, became the sacrifice that day in the place of the one who would have been sacrificed.

No wonder Jesus said, "Abraham saw My day and was glad." God preached the gospel to Abraham long ago.

-ACTION POINT:
Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his son, Isaac, has always portrayed for us the Father's willingness to sacrifice His only Son, the Lord Jesus. Thank Him again today for that holy sacrifice. "Jesus paid it all," so we might have it all--eternal life, eternal joy--through Him.

--Adrian Rogers

#70613 - 04/11/13 10:38 AM Re: Foundation of Our Security= -+ + + [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

-ROCK OF
REFUGE

-Psalm 94:3-23
---
The LORD has been my
defense, and my God
the rock of my refuge.
--Psalm 94:22

---
ONE year during my vacation, I walked along the shoreline of a large lake. As I approached a pile of boulders, I noticed a small alcove between the rocks and observed that a tiny plant had taken root there. The plant appeared to be absorbing the right amount of sunlight and water, and it was also getting someting else: protection. No downpour or windstorm would ruffle its tender leaves.

The plant's secure habitat reminded me of these familiar hymn lyrics: "Rock of Ages, cleft for me, let me hide myself in Thee." Those words express what many of us want when we encounter people with evil intentions--people characterized by pride, cruelty, and a lack of regard for God (Ps. 94:4-7). When we are the target of someone's wrongdoing, we can remember the testimony of the psalmist: "The LORD has been my defense, and my God the rock of my refuge" (v.22)

As our rock, God is dependable and strong. As our refuge, He can provide safety until problems pass. The psalmist reminds us: "Under this wings you shall take refuge" (Ps. 91:4). With God as our defender, we don't have to fear what others will do. We can trust that God will support us when trouble comes.
---
-REFUGE CAN BE FOUND IN THE ROCK OF AGES!

--ODB/JBS

#71277 - 06/10/13 01:23 PM Re: Foundation of Our Security ~ [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

--All Like Sheep

-Isaiah 53:6 says, “We all have wandered away like sheep; each of us has gone his own way.” You wouldn’t think sheep would be obstinate. Of all God’s animals, the sheep is the least able to take care of himself. Sheep are dumb. Have you ever met a sheep trainer? Ever seen sheep tricks? Know anyone who’s taught his sheep to roll over? No. Sheep are just too dumb.

When David said in Psalm 23, “The Lord is my Shepherd,” couldn’t he have come up with a better metaphor than a Shepherd for sheep? When David, who was a warrior and ambassador for God, searched for an illustration of God, he remembered his days as a shepherd. He remembered how he lavished attention on the sheep. How he watched over them. David rejoiced to say, “The Lord is my Shepherd” and in doing so, he proudly proclaimed, “I am His sheep!”

--From: Traveling Light/ML / The Lord is My Shepherd/ Keith Green, (now with Jesus).<http://youtu.be/ckcwCKUiGvg>

#71278 - 06/10/13 02:38 PM Re: Foundation of Our Security ~ [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

--You're Going to Live!

--BIBLE MEDITATION:
"And whosoever liveth and believeth in Me shall never die..." John 11:26

-DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
I heard a story about a boy who was dying on a battlefield. The chaplain was there, cradling this boy's head tenderly in his hands. The boy looked up and said, "Chaplain, am I going to live?" The chaplain looked down at that grievous wound and saw the life's blood ebbing out, and he knew that in just a matter of minutes the boy would be dead. He said to the boy, "Son, are you a Christian?" The boy gave a weak smile and said, "Sir, the happiest day in my life was when I gave my heart to Jesus Christ. Yes, I'm a Christian." The chaplain said, "Then, son, you'll live!" And indeed he will!

-ACTION POINT:
"And this is life eternal, that they might know Thee, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent" (John 17:3). Life is short, death is sure, sin is the cause, and Christ is the cure. horray

#71364 - 06/19/13 07:52 PM Re: Foundation of Our Security ~ [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

--GOD CALLING ~~

--Way of Happiness--

--"Complete surrender of every moment to God is the foundation of happiness, the superstructure is the joy of Communion with Him. And that is for each, the place, the mansion. I went to prepare for you.

My followers have misunderstood that, and looked too often upon that promise as referring only to an After-Life, and too often--far too often--upon this life as something to be struggled through in order to get the reward and the joy of the next.

Seek to carry out all I say, and such understanding, insight, vision, and joy will be yours as shall pass indeed all understanding. The plans of God are very wonderful--
beyond you highest hopes.
Cling to thoughts of protection, safety, guidance."- cross JESUS~

#71915 - 08/07/13 10:21 AM Re: Foundation of Our Security ~ [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

--The Sure Foundation

-"Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure." (2 Timothy 2:19) crackthebook

The preceding verses of this section of 2 Timothy are replete with warnings about the damage that could be done through "babblings" and cancerous words. But God is unshaken by whatever man might do. "He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he" (Deuteronomy 32:4).

"I am the LORD, and there is none else," Isaiah joyfully quotes (Isaiah 45:6). "I am the LORD, I change not," the prophet Malachi is told (Malachi 3:6), and there is "no variableness, neither shadow of turning" (James 1:17) in the God of creation. God's sovereign will is absolute: "The word of our God shall stand for ever" (Isaiah 40:8). "My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure" (Isaiah 46:10).

We who are the twice-born, and thus the children of God, can stand firm and steadfast in the knowledge that He who is "sure" is the One who is working in us "to will and to do of his good pleasure" (Philippians 2:13). He has adopted us as His children "by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will" (Ephesians 1:5).

It is no random act of capricious fate that has secured us. It is the sure foundation of the great Creator God. It is His divine power that has "given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue." That calling rests on "exceeding great and precious promises" that enable us to participate in the "divine nature" and escape the awful "corruption that is in the world through lust" (2 Peter 1:3-4).

--ICR/ HMM/ SURE FOUNDATION!
<http://youtu.be/alolmNNVOr4>
-----------

#74519 - 05/05/14 06:51 PM Re: Foundation of Our Security = + + + [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

---GOD IS ALWAYS WITH US~~

--"You see me when I travel and when I rest at home. You know everything I do. You know what I am going to say even before I say it, LORD."
--PSALM 139:3-4

-------
--WHERE was God? That's the question we often ask when we find ourselves in a predicament--even a self-inflicted one. We expect a certain amount of protection from danger in our circumstances and our relationships. When our path has taken excruciating turns and we end up in extreme hardship or pain, we wonder why we weren't better protected. Even when we know the blame is ours, we wish, for the sake of ourselves and others, that we had been spared from our own decisions.

The good news is that God was present in every twist and turn we made. He knew them ahead of time. If He gave a promise or a calling and we think we blew it, we can remind ourselves that He already accounted for our missteps when He promised or called. Our faults were considered in advance, and He chose, called, and promised anyway. He who sees both the beginning and end simultaneously did not make a mistake.

Consider Joseph, the favored son of Jacob, whose God-given dreams landed him in slavery and prison. Over many long years, he had limitless opportunities to second-guess himself, his family, and his God. Yet God had already seen the process up front. His calling proved true. Nothing could thwart it.

Nothing, apart from unbelief and rebellion, can thwart your calling either. The God who is so intimately present in your life that He knows every thought--ahead of time--will get you where you need to be. No matter how many wrong turns you think you've taken. He knows where you are and where you're going. You are not outside of His path or His process. Pursue Him, and He will determine your path.
----
-"Lord, You know my past, my present, and my future. Am I on the right track? Have I missed Your plan? You have always known I would be right here, right now. And I trust You will continue to lead me forever.~~ prayer amen"~

--Experiencing God's Presence/CT ~~//INDESCRIBABLE-CT
<http://youtu.be/VE0yUobk6TM>
------------

#74950 - 07/08/14 10:54 AM Re: Foundation of Our Security = + + + [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

---GOD'S GRACE~~

-I’ve never been surprised by God’s judgment, but I’m still stunned by His grace! God’s judgment has never been a problem for me. Lightning bolts on Sodom…fire on Gomorrah… good job, God! Discipline is easy for me to swallow; it’s logical to assimilate.

But God’s grace? Anything but. Peter denied Christ before he preached Christ. The thief on the cross was hell-bent and hung out to die one minute, then heaven-bound and smiling the next. I challenge you to find one story in the Bible of a person who came to God seeking grace and did not find it. I dare you. God gives a lot more grace than we would ever imagine.

We could do the same. I’m not for watering down the truth or compromising the Gospel. One thing is for sure. When we get to Heaven, we’ll be surprised at some of the folks we see. And some of them will be surprised when they see us. angelwing

-- When God Whispers Your Name/ML
--In Honor of George Harrison/ 'My Sweet Lord' ~~
--[Eric Clapton, Billy Preston, Tom Petty, etc]

<http://youtu.be/elGNl7pmrqQ>
-----------

#75100 - 07/30/14 01:10 PM Re: Foundation of Our Security = + + + [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

--OUR FIRM FOUNDATION~~
--Ephesians 2:1-9

--WHAT we believe determines how we will act. To behave in a godly manner, we must embrace Bible truths. So let's take a look at some basics of the faith:

--**Man's relationship with God is broken, apart from Jesus Christ.
-When Adam and Eve rebelled, their nature became corrupt and alienated them from God. That "flesh" nature was then passed down to all subsequent generations, separating man from the Father (Rom. 5:12). On our won, we can neither make amends for our sin nor change our nature.

--**Salvation comes through Jesus alone (Acts 4:12).
-God's justice required a penalty for sin, but only a sacrifice without defect would suffice. Jesus, who lived a perfect life on earth, was uniquely qualified. He bore our sins and died in our place so we might be forgiven and adopted into God's family. When we receive Him as Savior, we're given a new nature, and Christ's righteousness is counted as ours (Phil. 3:9, 2 Cor. 5:17).

--**The Church--Christ's body (His people),--is made up of born-again believers throughout the world (1 Cor 12:13). All Christians are commanded to worship the Lord, care for one another, and share in the work of spreading the Gospel, the Holy Bible. God's followers are also given spiritual gifts to use in building up other believers.

If these truths are the basis for our view of life, we sill find ourselves growing in the grace and knowledge of Jesus Christ. Forgiving others will become a possibility--and dying to self a more common occurrence. Ungodly traits will fade away and be replaced by the fruit of the Spirit (Gal. 5:22-23).
**NOTE: WHEN a person has truly repented of, and confessed his/her sins to the Lord Jesus Christ, and invited Him to take over control of their lives, THEN they SEE JESUS. And when you come face-to-face with the Lord, cross you will never be the same. He changes you from the inside out.~~=/No Other Name/-Hillsong
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5CqaW8aR1A>
----------

#78722 - 09/03/15 11:45 AM Re: Foundation of Our Security + + + [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

--HANDLING DIFFICULT CIRCUMSTANCES ~~
---(Philippians 3:8-11/ please read)

--THE APOSTLE PAUL UNDERSTOOD how to handle tough circumstances. Even while confined in a prison cell, he kept his eyes on Christ and trusted firmly in the Savior. Therefore, despite being in chains, he was able to celebrate the Lord's work in his life. In fact, the epistle he wrote from jail to the Philippians was filled with rejoicing and praise (1:18;2:18;3:1).

Focusing on Christ is neither a natural reaction nor an easy one. Our instinct is to dwell on the situation at hand, searching for solutions or stewing over the pain and difficulty. As a result, troubles look insurmountable and overwhelm us with a sense of failure.

However, fear and defeat can't live long in a heart that trusts the Lord. I'm not saying you will forget what you're going through, but you can choose to dwell on His provision and care instead. He is the Deliverer (2 Cor. 1:10), He is the Healer (Jer. 17:14). He is the Guide (Prov. 3:6). And He is "I AM". (Exodus 3:14). He never changes. The believer who lays claim to divine promises discovers that God pushes back negative emotions. In their place, hope, confidence, and contentment take up residence (Phil 4:11). You aren't going to be happy about any difficult situation, but you can be satisfied that God is in control and up to something good in the midst of trouble.

The Lord's principles and promises don't change, no matter how severe or painful the situation is. Focus on Christ instead of the circumstances--God will comfort your heart and bring you safely through the trial. Then you will be ready to answer Paul's call to "rejoice in the Lord always." (v.4).
--IN TOUCH~~
[MOSES AT THE BURNING BUSH =
-Moses said to God, "Indeed, when I come to the children of Israel and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they say to me, 'What is His name?' what shall I say to them?"

And God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." And He said, "Thus you shall say to the children of Israel: The LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you. This is My name forever, and this is my memorial to all generations.'~~
--Exodus 3:13-15)]

<https://youtu.be/y_VR-zwp2KA>

#78879 - 09/18/15 08:22 AM Re: Foundation of Our Security + + + [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

--VALLEYS AND MOUNTAINS IN THE LIFE OF THE CHRISTIAN~~

-“God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.” - Psalm 46:1

Did you know that it is an impossibility of geography to have a valley without a mountain? They are beautiful complements in God’s grand creation.

The valley is the place of vision. It is the place of repose and reflection. The mountain is the place of discovery and a place to become strong.

If you find yourself in a valley, it is because you have come down from a mountain. If you’re on a mountain, you came to that place by way of the valley.

Are you in the valley or on the mountaintop? Read Psalm 46 about the strength of the Lord. Rest and rejoice in His strength, wherever God has you right now.
---
-In Touch~~
[Wherever you are, whether valley or mountain, KNOW the Lord Jesus is with you. He said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you. I am with you always even until the end of time." Always remember, our cross Shepherd never leaves His sheep. ]

#80685 - 07/21/16 09:36 AM Re: Foundation of Our Security + [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

--GOD'S LOVE NEVER FAILS~~

One stumble does not define or break a person.
Though you failed, God’s love does not. Face your failures with faith in God’s goodness.

He saw this collapse coming. God could see the upcoming mishaps. Still, he tells you what he told Joshua. “Arise, go.....you and all this people, to the land which I am giving” (Joshua 1:2). There is no condition in that covenant. No fine print. No performance language. God’s promised land does not depend on your perfection. It depends on his.

In God’s hands no defeat is a crushing defeat. Scripture says, “The steps of good men are directed by the Lord. He delights in each step they take. If they fall, it isn’t fatal, for the Lord holds them with his hand” (Psalm 37:23-24). Put your faith in the One who is always faithful!

--**God Is With You Everyday/ML**

[Psalm 100= "Shout joyfully to the LORD, all the earth.
Serve the LORD with gladness; Come before Him with joyful singing. Know that the LORD Himself is God; It is He who has made us and not we ourselves; We are His people and the sheep of His pasture. Enter His gates with thanksgiving and His courts with praise. Give thanks to Him, bless His name. For the LORD is good; His lovingkindness is everlasting and His faithfulness to all generations."]

--'Wide As The Sky' / Matt Redman~
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=996cjdPHXAM>
--------

Edited by Abigail (07/21/16 09:39 AM)

#80686 - 07/21/16 11:28 AM Re: Foundation of Our Security + [Re: Abigail]
Abigail Offline

Master Elite Member

--THE SAVIOR'S MISSION~~
----(Please read/ John 14:6)

-MANY BELIEVERS KNOW JESUS CHRIST is the Son of God,
but we should also understand His mission, how He fulfilled it, and what that means to each of us.
Christ had a twofold goal in coming to earth; to provide us with a tangible image of who God is, and to die in our place to pay our penalty for sin.

What an incredible plan! The omnipotent, omniscient Lord had existed since eternity past (John 1:1; 8:58). Yet for a time, He set aside power and strength that were rightfully His, so that He could become like us. Because God-in-human-flesh lived His life before men, we can better understand our heavenly Father (Col. 1:15).

Through Christ's sacrifice, we are invited into an eternal relationship with God. You see, Scripture teaches that every descendant of Adam is guilty of sin (Isa. 53:6; Rom. 3:23), and the punishment is death (6:23). The penalty must be paid by the shedding of blood (Lev. 17:11). Yet the Father can accept nothing less than a perfect sacrifice (Deut. 17:1). The Savior--who was fully God, fully man, and 100 percent innocent--died a humiliating, excruciating death to pay the debt we couldn't afford. He is the only One who could lay down His life to save us and bridge the gap between each person and the Father.

There is no possible way to earn our salvation. It is an awesome gift that the Father freely offers to each one of us. The only requirement is that we receive Jesus Christ as our personal Savior and follow Him. Have you chosen to accept this amazing blessing from the Father's hand? (Read Romans 10:9-10)
--IN TOUCH~~
--Great is the Lord + Michael W Smith ~
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocmCTU_rEeI>
---

Moderator:  CTD